06 May 2006

Towards a going-back to basics open-source generic productivity system?

A few words inspired by my exchange with Jason Alan Moore about his post on Getting the right things done. I think that Jason's idea of comparing, and when relevant combining, different systems is indeed very worthy. Matt Cornell has also been writing very interesting posts by looking the same aspect of different productivity or time-management systems. See for instance: How to process stuff - A comparison of TRAF, the "Four Ds", and GTD's workflow diagram. Such exegesis of productivity system is indeed very enlightening.
My intention in my previous post was simply to point out to what I see as a major dimention of GTD®.
I must say that it took me a very long time to actually become involved in the process of looking at this dimension of the system, about 16 months of trying to implement GTD®. It is only when I started using mind mapping to implement the system, but after listening to the Getting Things Done Fast CDs, that I started to "get it".
When I first went through the process of brainstorming the branches of my mind-map using the three top-levels of "The Six-Level Model" (ie 50,000+ feet, 40,000 feet, 20,000 feet), that reminded me a my reading of Covey's 7 habits five years earlier, and especially the idea of writing a mission statement. GTD® is perhaps more pragmatic than Covey's 7 habits, but aspects of both can be combined to good effect. I also later copied in this section of the mind-map a inspirational quote from Peter F. Drucker, found on a blog, which is "Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right things." Following for about six weeks Matt Cornell idea's of a Productivity Master, I did a lot of reading on productivity in the late winter. My general impression is that the more you read books about productivity, the more you have the impression that the core of most systems revolves around a set of basic principles which are often very similar.
It could, perhaps, be an idea for productivity bloggers, to explore further something along the lines of a "going-back to basics open-source no-frill generic productivity system", which will combine the best productivity principles, which have been around for decades and decades.

1 Comments:

At 5/08/2006 02:14:00 am, Blogger Matthew Cornell said...

I like it! Thanks for the link.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home