19 April 2006

Higher Education: ... the missing link?

Two blog posts have given me thought for thoughts on what I believe to be an important issue.
The first is a post on David Allen's blog, published on 17 February 2006, Can we get to the kids?, in which, he quoted from a message received from Tim Noyce, a senior ING consultant in Amsterdam who commented on his experience of having given a couple of talks on Getting Things Done at a secondary school in the Netherlands.
The second is a more recent post by Jason Womack: Creative thinking...some assistance please. There the David Allen Company star blogger, who had been asked at a recent seminar to provide a short-list on productivity in the workplace, listed Tony Buzan, Edward de Bono, Roger Von Oech and Evelyn Wood.
I must say that the book, which has had the most influence on my personal productivity is indeed Tony Buzan’s The Mind Map book.
I, in fact, discovered it through a trial version of MindManager available through a computer magazine around December 1999 and was immediately conquered. I immediately purchased the book and my daughters very kindly soon offered me for my birthday a copy of MindManager 2002 (Educational Licence). As a result my productivity was considerably enhanced and I never looked back. I use mind mapping virtually everyday.
After nearly twenty years lecturing, I often reflect on how such vital skills as mind mapping and personal organisation have had so far so little impact in higher education and are nearly always completely absent from the curriculum .
Why aren’t such essential skills systematically taught to students?

5 Comments:

At 4/19/2006 06:59:00 pm, Blogger Matthew Cornell said...

It's interesting to hear how much you liked Buzan’s book. I recall thinking there isn't much to it. Guess I better try again!

Great post.

 
At 4/26/2006 03:12:00 am, Anonymous Claire Tompkins said...

Why isn't basic money management taught at schools either? Both that and personal organizing are such essential skills, it's hard to understand why they're not.
I've tried mind mapping a little bit but I got lost quickly in a forest of lines and words. I found it difficult to keep the map organized enough to remember what I'd written and where. Could you give a brief explanation of how you do it? Thanks!

 
At 4/28/2006 09:58:00 pm, Blogger Pascal Venier said...

I could not agree more about basic money management! Just look at the state of my finance!
I propose to write a post about your question on mind mapping.
I did not know of your blog but it sounds very cool.

 
At 5/12/2006 07:12:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pascal,

Glad to hear you enjoy using MindManager. Mindjet is very passionate about teaching students and teachers the value of visual mapping the education sector.

You may be interested in checking out our education user forum (http://www.mindjet.com/us/forum/viewforum.php?f=11) It has some great student resources such as student screencasts and activities.

We also have some interesting student maps in our map gallery: http://www.mindjet.com/us/download/map_library/index.php?s=3

Email me if you'd like to chat more about this topic: gaelen.oconnell@mindjet.com

 
At 5/31/2006 08:26:00 pm, Blogger Pascal Venier said...

Thanks for you comment, Gaelen.

I shall get in touch with you to chat about this topic, as suggested.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home