29 January 2006

Rediscovering FreeMind

Another couple of great episodes on The Personal Productivity Show, #020 with Chuck Frey on mind mapping sofwares and #021 with Jason Womack on GTD. The series is a great help and both truly entertaining and inspirational.
Chuck Frey, a leading expert on mind mapping, runs both Innovation Tools, whose Friday updates are a must, and the MindMapping Software Weblog. Having been using mind-mapping softwares for the last 5 years, I was really interesting in what he had to say. The show inspired me to look again at the possibility to mainly rely on a mind-mapping software for my implementation of gtd. I spent some time over the week-end last week looking at how Nova-Mind could be used, looked again at Tinderbox, but finally discovered that FreeMind was perhaps the best choice, even if Chuck was not really keen on the open source software in question. After a week of using it, I think I have now come to find the best solution for me and will only in the future use Devonthink for my electronic reference materials and keeping track of my projects support materials. I now have a giant mind map, which remains very manageable, thanks to the way in which FreeMind allow for the branches to fold and unfold.
I have spent about an hours each day of the week, looking further a all the aspect of my system, doing the inventory of all my open loops, looking at my priorities from 20,000 ft, 30,000 ft, 40,000 ft, and 50,000 ft. After my GTD week at the end of last year, which incidently turned into a couple of weeks, I must say that the result to date is very spectacular and my levels of stress have been reduced in a very pleasant way.
My system is however far from being fool proof. I managed to make a stupid mistake when I entered in my mind map an appointment on the wrong day (Friday instead of Thursday at 0930). This was accordingly a source of much embarrassement, when I failed to turn up. Mea culpa, mea culpa maxima. Freemind

5 Comments:

At 1/30/2006 01:58:00 am, Blogger Matthew Cornell said...

Thanks for the helpful pointers, my friend. I'm also using FreeMind, but not for the GTD part (I'm still using a paper planner), but for project planning, and for laying out my budding professional network. It's a little pokey, but I'm very grateful for the option.

 
At 3/08/2006 04:03:00 am, Blogger speaker said...

I appreciated the review on FreeMind, as it is an excellent tool to learn how to use mindmaps.

 
At 3/10/2006 08:45:00 pm, Blogger Tedward! said...

How did you do the colors? Do you have to do it manually, or can you have it keep getting lighter for each child once you set the first one?

 
At 5/14/2006 01:52:00 pm, Blogger Pascal Venier said...

Tedward!
Yes, you need to do the colours manually.

 
At 5/31/2006 02:27:00 pm, Anonymous Jimmy said...

Great stuff mate! I just recently discovered the concept of mind mapping (and subsequently FreeMind) and your pictures gave me several good tips in expanding the graphical aspects of my own mind maps. Thanks for taking the time posting this.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home