02 January 2006

Presentation design

Doing the rounds of the blogs I read regularily, I have come accross a link to a new blog: “Let the Good Times Roll” by Guy Kawasaki, who is a PowerPoint guru. He is "trying to evangelize the 10/20/30 Rule of PowerPoint. It’s quite simple: a PowerPoint presentation should have ten slides, last no more than twenty minutes, and contain no font smaller than thirty points." This sounds a very useful resource as I am always looking at improving the quality of my presentations.
I am not sure how this could apply to the standard British university 55 minutes lecture but will look at adapting this for my lectures during the coming semester. I have noticed last year that I had a tendancy to prepare a deck of slides which was far too long and will look at cutting drastically this year. Perhaps having two mini-lectures of 20 minutes each à la Kawasaki, each followed by 5 minutes of questions could be a way forward.
Guy Kawasaki links to another site Presentation Zen, Garr Reynold's blog on issues related to professional presentation design. In contrast with Kawazaki's argument Reynolds argued in a recent post that The size of your deck does not matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home