28 May 2005

Call for D*I*Y Education Pack Ideas

Douglas Johnston on A Million Monkeys typing has decided to prepare a follow up to the remarquable "D*I*Y" Planner 2, which would be a D*I*Y Education Pack and launched a call for ideas. What a superb initiative!

Two things immediately spring to mind. The first idea would be a template of a mind map with the famous 7 questions, that one can ask about any topic: how, when, why, who, where, what, how many. I have used them in my teaching to very good effects. They are also very useful to help students revising. Here is an example of a such a mind map, I have recently prepared for my French History and Contemporary Students, using the Cmap software. This was meant as an illustration of the sort of things they could do to revise before the exam. It is unfortunately in French.

7 questions mind map sample.

Another template could be one based on what Louis Timbal-Duclaux suggests in his book La prise de notes efficace, Paris : Retz, 1988. That is to process any topic or issue, by problematizing it using the framework Situation-problem-solution-information. In French this is SPRI (Situation, Probléme, Résolution, Informations) and is meant to be pronounced S-PRI, in order to sound like Esprit, the word for mind. Follows a SPRI mind map on the same topic:

hcs2_revisions2

The second idea would be an essay writing template. Indicating what is expected and helping students structuring their essays.

2 Comments:

At 5/28/2005 03:07:00 am, Blogger Douglas Johnston said...

Hmm... I like where you're going. (Et le français n'est pas vraiment un problème.)

I was thinking about a few mind-maps to include with the templates, but these do pose a couple of challenges. First, many aren't really flexible enough to include as anything more than a vague "starter" (such as the 7 questions, which is a great idea, BTW).

Second, many such templates would require detailed how-to's or instructions so that teachers and students could get the most out of them. This is not insurmountable: it would just require a little handbook to accompany them, but that would take some time to write, preferably by someone more familiar with mind-mapping techniques than myself. (I have the basics, but that's about it.)

I like what I see of the SPRI model you've posted. Do you know of any information on the web I might be able to read to gain a bit more familiarity with it?

all my best,
dj

-----
a million monkeys typing : www.douglasjohnston.net

 
At 5/28/2005 03:25:00 pm, Blogger Pascal Venier said...

I would be delighted to contribute to the project by producing the relevant mind maps or concept maps.

As to the SPRI model, the following webpages give more details: Méthode S. P. R. I. - définition et La Méthode SPRI. I presented the SPRI framework as a mind map, as I was trying to encourage my students to you mind maps, but the author uses a central cross delimitating 4 squares.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home